Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas in Days Gone By


Today I was thinking of the Christmas in years gone by. I used to get so excited about the lights and the tree. We didn't put our tree up until just a week before Christmas. It was always a real tree.We had to brave the cold and walk through all the tree lots to pick that special tree. The smell would get me so excited. My brother and I would just sit and stare at the lights. We had a really warm and fuzzy feeling inside. We had some fun lights called Bubble lights, that bubbled when they got warm. I liked to go window shopping in Provo. Orem didn't even have any stores much then. I loved to go to what we called Toyland where all the toys were displayed. I loved the colored perfume bottles, the smell of candy and cinnamon buns in the air of the stores. It really wasn't the toys and stuff we got for Christmas that was the most exciting, it was the spirit, the lights, the music, the frosted window panes, the trees and lights glowing in windows and smells that were the most wonderful of all. When I was in grade school, there was a large Christmas tree in the hall and all the kids and faculty would stand around the tree and sing Christmas carols, kind of like Charlie Brown. It was really special. It seemed like it was months and months between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The school holidays for Christmas seemed really long. Now Christmas comes so fast that I hardly know it's here and the excitment is just not the same. Kids still have wonderful imaginations and can really appreciate Christmas. I even imagined that I saw Santa putting presents under our tree when I got up to go to the bathroom. The tree was all aglow and Santa was bent beneath the tree with his bag and bells around his waist. I was so sure I saw him.

On Christmas Day, it was often a letdown knowing that is was all over; an anti-climax I guess. I loved the smell of the new doll I got though and all the pretty perfume and lotion and new flannel nightgowns that I got and the oranges, candy and nuts.

No comments:

The lady we stayed with in Santa Rosa has a sister who is a famous writer. Her name is http://www.ellynbache.com/