Saturday, October 6, 2007

Dolls and Nosalgia







I guess I take after my mom. I like to collect dolls and other cute things. I know I have no need for them, but it's fun. In the 50's there were some dolls from the Terri Lee family and every little or big girl wanted one. The main doll, Teri Lee herself, was created by a woman in Apple Valley CA. She was a sculptress and an artist. She created the dolls using a special kind of plastic. She painted their features. My cousin Phyllis had one first. She was so pretty that I wanted one too. You could buy lots of clothes for Terri Lee. My aunt Bernice, Phyllis' mother, made clothes as well and for a lot less. Teri Lee at that time was around $15 to buy which was a lot for a doll in those days. I wanted one so bad. One Christmas when I was around 9 or 10, I got one. She was dressed in a Scottish outfit and had blonde hair. She was like the one at the top. My aunt Bernice had made clothes for her. I loved her so much. I made the mistake of letting my girls play with her after I was married. She got ruined and I guess thrown out with the trash. Today she would be worth a lot on e-Bay. I looked on -eBay and found some authetic ones for sale at a large amount of money. Then I found a replica or Terri Lee on the Target web site. So I puchased two of them for $20 each. I have included photos of the replicas and photos of the vintage ones from e-Bay.

On the photos below you will see some of my dolls that I collect and the comic books I also used to subscribe to. Terri Lee even had her own magazine at one time. I want to get some clothes for Terri Lee and there are some on e-bay. Maybe I can talk Tammy into making me some. She is a good seamstress.I used to just love Little Lulu and Tubby. I had an original Lulu doll in the 50's and I subscribed to the comic book. I now have another Lulu doll which my honey got for me for my birthday and a small Tubby and Lulu doll that Marty and Cherise got for me.
I also loved Nancy and Sluggo from the comic books. It's good thing Tina made me a pair because I couldn't find anywhere to purchse them. So call me crazy. I just love to collect dolls and other items I have purchased from places I have visited.




No comments:

The lady we stayed with in Santa Rosa has a sister who is a famous writer. Her name is http://www.ellynbache.com/