Monday, January 5, 2009

A Different New's Year's Tradition



When I was little, my mother did something that I don't think any other family did; she had my brother and I hang just one small sock in the hallway for the Little New Year to place a small trinket in. I added something special to New Year's other than just the staying up late and games etc. On New Year's morning we would go to our sock and we would usually find a small gift some jacks or small bottle of cologne or a little necklace (for me of course) and my brother would usually get a small metal truck small toy gun. We would also get one piece of candy. It was exciting because there is a big let-down after Christmas and this made the holidays even more special.

On New Year's Eve, my mother would wait until midnight and open up the back door so the old year could leave and hurriedly open the front door so the Little New Year could come in. I actually thought I saw an old man with a white beard and cane wearing a long nightshirt go out the back door, and then in came The Little New Year with his diaper on and floating through the air. Funny huh! The old Year was known as Father Time.

This New Year's Eve sucked. When you get old, it's not the same. You know how you are supposed to kiss at midnight? Well both of us fell asleep before the midnight hour came. I was awakened by fireworks but then I just drifted off again.

No comments:

The lady we stayed with in Santa Rosa has a sister who is a famous writer. Her name is http://www.ellynbache.com/